Re: [Icehouse] Zark City rules questions

  • FromAndy Looney <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 06 May 2010 15:13:37 -0400
Hello Bryan

1. Is the Hatch option *only* available if you have no pyramids on the
board?  The rules seem to imply this, but they could be interpreted
otherwise. I could have had an easy win in my first game if I could
have Hatched onto a 3rd card of Power Block, but I ruled that it
couldn't be done.

Yes, you can only Hatch when you have zero pieces on the board.

2. What if 2 or more players fulfill the win conditions at the same
time?  For example, player A moves a pyramid onto a card that fills
her Power Block, but it also vacates a card shared with player B,
giving him uncontested occupancy of his own Power Block.  Of the
possible rulings -- A wins, B wins, they share a win, moves like that
aren't allowed -- my guess is that the player making the winning move
(in this case, A) wins alone.  Yes?

Yes, the active player wins if two players are both simultaneously dominating Power Blocks.

3. What if the deck has been gone through a couple of times, and
almost all that's left are the face/Attack cards, and it looks like no
one can win? My guess is that the answer would be something like
this: "In the rare event that no one can bring about a win, then all
players lose.  This decision can be made by agreement of all players
involved, or if at a tournament, the person in charge makes the
decision."

I've played a LOT of Zark City and I've never seen it fail to end. There's a big difference between what seems like an un-ending situation and an actual stalemate. If all that remains are attack cards, there's gonna be a lot of attacking going on, and that'll bring the ending faster.

BTW, will you be using the automatic draw rule I mentioned here?

<http://www.wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2009/WN.08.06.09.html#ThoughtResidue>

I recommend it.

-- Andy