Re: [Icehouse] Twin Win card font

  • Fromvijay chopra <vjchopra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 17 Dec 2010 17:25:54 +0000
GIMP opens pdfs directly, so it's not entirely a screen grab; it's just quicker and easier to copy and paste the part of the pdf into a new 57 x 88mm (224 x 346px) canvas (the size of my cards) and then export it as an image.
I'm also not doing any resizing as the the individual sections are the right size, they're just on a single sheet instead of separate. Hopefully there won't be much loss in quality, but I suppose I could export them from GIMP as bitmap instead of jpegs; that should keep it printer quality. I'll try a couple my way, but if the quality is low, I'll definitely go the SVG route.

Thanks for the advice.

Vijay

On 17 December 2010 16:38, David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM, vijay chopra <vjchopra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies everyone!
> Also special thanks to Scott for updating the pdf; now I can just use the
> GIMP to splice it into jpegs, saving me a load of effort.

You might do better to use Inkscape and maintain the vector art (which
is what fonts are, at root). Make the individual cards as SVG, and
they will print crisply at any and all resolutions, with no
pixelation. Barring that, at least make them 100% quality (no
compression) JPGs at the highest resolution for the printer you intend
to use (probably 600 dpi).

Seems a shame to use card stock and color ink to print JPGs that will
be sampled at (probably) 96 dpi if you just use screen-grabbing.

HTH;
David