[Icehouse] ICE Awards

  • FromS Myers <iamthecheeze@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 9 Jan 2011 14:03:33 -0500
Hello, good people of Earth and Mars!!

I would like to bring before you the subject of the Icehouse Community
Excellence Awards!  2010 has come and gone, which means a whole crop
of excellent games are available to be played!!  While everyone's
creativity is to be commended and noted with due austerity, we -- and
I am using the royal "we," here -- would like to recognize those
creators who have really gone above and beyond, and managed to invent
something really interesting!

We would like to collect and coordinate this year's proceedings here:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=New_in_2010

There is a much smaller number of games this year -- which makes me
wonder if we are missing some games.  If you know of any Icehouse
games which are not represented, please pass the word and see that it
gets added!!  I believe there was no IGDC this year, if memory serves,
which means less encouragement to create, so that may just be the way
it is.

At the moment, think not of winners and losers.  I would like to
encourage some thoughts to be generated on how to go about it.  Last
year seemed to work well:  Everyone simply state if you want to play a
game, divvy up the list, and weed out the chaffe.  If you think a game
has any merit at all, then it gets pushed on to the next round.  Then
more people play more games.  We'll narrow that down to about 3 games,
and put it to a general vote at Origins, in the summer.

Here is the page of last year's data:
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=New_in_2009

Also, we should have dialogue and discussion take place on the Ning
website.  It is now available, so we should probably use it.  Some
conversations were had last year which would have been well suited in
a fForum of some kind, so we should probably use that.  I have started
a page here:
http://looneylabs.ning.com/forum/topics/icehouse-community-excellence

Cheers!
--Scott

--
A pizza with the radius 'z' and thickness 'a'
has the volume pi*z*z*a.