Re: [Icehouse] No more tubes

  • FromNick Lamicela <nupanick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 20 Mar 2011 18:31:42 -0400
I saw a display of monochrome tubes when I was like, 8. They were *pretty*... but when I read the sticker it said I needed three or four colors to play anything, and it was just way out of my allowance range back then. So I guess I understand the switch to mixed sets.

I'm kinda sad that LL is finally going to outsource pyramids though... it makes them feel a little less "indie" in my mind I guess. But after 10 years of liking pretty much every LL game I've played (except maybe nanofictionary; I can't seem to get the right group for that), I think I should be confident in their ability to run a company. So, good luck Loonies, and can I just say I hope to see one of your games used in a fast food promotion someday.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Elliott C. Evans <eeyore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nick L. wrote:
>>
>> I always managed to break the tubes. They're based on ee0r's vertical
>> stackbox design, I think, so you could just print some out on cardstock
>> if it's the space packing you care about. If you're using tubes for
>> display purposes though, yeah I dunno what to do about it.
>
> It's the other way around, I think. I mean, I couldn't have designed
> the boxes without some stackable pieces, and the stackable pieces have
> always come in the tubes.

Stackable pieces have not always come in tubes.  My first set (of 4
stashes) of Stackable pieces came in a clear plastic box which I think
was sold as a "Martian Chess Set", although I'm sure others will
correctly inform me of a different name.  It was impossible to get
individual colors as a stash for a while.  I believe I got a different
set of 4 stashes as part of the Zendo boxed set (which I only bought
for the pyramids, already having the rules for Zendo handy).  I don't
know if individual tubes were available at that time yet, either.  I
believe the tubes came about as part of a marketing attempt based
around one of the games which can be played with fewer stashes than
Zendo or Ice House.