Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Rule clarification [rule against external references]

  • FromNick Lamicela <nupanick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 3 Aug 2011 23:34:12 -0400
To be fair, part of why it takes so long is probably because they're hoping you wouldn't just use the same type of rule twice.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM, Nick Lamicela <nupanick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I love running the prime rule. Once I ran it for some friends in high
> school, and they finally gave up after going at it for an hour. When I told
> them the answer, they pointed to the koan with only one pyramid and
> complained that "the number 1 is only divisible by itself, so it should
> count as prime." I think I must have been the only person in my circle of
> friends who enjoyed math more than any other class.

I like the prime rule, too.  Are we talking about "prime number of
'mids" or "prime number of pips"?  But I think it's too hard for
brand-new students.

One thing I do when teaching new players, in part to show them how
tricky even a supposedly simple rule is, is to show the game mechanics
with an "open" game: I tell them the rule I'm using ("akhtbni it
contains at least one blue pyramid"), and talk through each step of
the mechanics.  Then I play a real game, using "akhtbni it contains at
least one red pyramid", and marvel at how long it takes, even when the
rough idea was just shown to them.