Re: [Icehouse] [Zendo] Rule clarification [rule against external references]

  • From"Daniel W. Johnson" <panoptes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 04 Aug 2011 00:02:03 -0400
On 2011-08-03 22:48, Buddha Buck wrote:
> I like the prime rule, too.  Are we talking about "prime number of
> 'mids" or "prime number of pips"?  But I think it's too hard for
> brand-new students.

At the Origins where I discovered Zendo, I saw someone do a prime rule
for "pyramids + pips".  (Which is one way to avoid the "1" problem with
a prime rule.)

> One thing I do when teaching new players, in part to show them how
> tricky even a supposedly simple rule is,

When I teach new players, I make certain the first one or two rules are
simple by taking a random card from the Zendo box.  I also used that to
ensure that my first original rule wasn't too hard: If "it contains at
least one pyramid of each color" is simple enough for a card, "it
contains at least one pyramid of each size" is simple enough for new
players.  But my second rule was a "mondo" fest -- each mondo led to
handing out guessing stones to all the students.  (Rule: "it contains an
even number of each size and color")
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@xxxxxxxxxx