Re: [Icehouse] New rules for Icehouse

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 22 Oct 2011 15:35:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Daniel W. Johnson wrote:

On 2011-10-11 08:04, Elliott C. Evans wrote:
We actually had a problem with this once at work back in, like,
1994 or 95. We'd gone with "Lowest Bidder Printing, Inc." and
their cheap pirated version of the font we were trying to use
did not actually contain ligatures. Imagine a 300 page software
manual with references to "data les" instead of "data files".

I've actually seen a similar problem recently.  I discovered that if I
open a certain PDF file in Adobe Reader on my Mac and copy a chunk of
text, the word "first" pastes as "fi rst".  (The Preview program doesn't
have this problem when I copy from it.)

This may be a ligature issue, or it may be the way the words are laid out in the document. Sometimes a PDF reader can't tell the difference between kerning and spacing.

--Z

*