Looney Labs Nanofictionary Mailing list Archive

[Nanofictionary] New Rules: discards

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 19 May 2010 06:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
Andy recently posted the "Radically Simplified Rules for
Nanofictionary" that Looney Labs is currently testing for
the next edition of Nanofictionary, so I thought I'd start
a discussion thread here about them. Here's the URL -

http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Nanofictionary/RuleRevisions.html

First off, Andy, please clarify what it means to discard a
card. It seems like you mean for the whole table, starting
with an initial six card spread, to be one big open discard
pile. That's not clear from the bullet list, though. Maybe
change these two bullets -

# Also, deal 6 cards face up and spread them out on the table.
# On your turn, draw a card, add it to your hand, and discard
  a card.

to read -

# Also, deal 6 cards face up and spread them out on the table.
  These cards are the start of the discard pile.

# On your turn, draw a card, add it to your hand, and discard
  a card face up into the discard pile.

Maybe call it "the slush pile" instead? Do enough people know
what that means? Would it be unnecessarily confusing?

I do like the idea of a great big pool of unused cards, though.
Whoever draws the card first gets first crack at using it, but
once discarded, anybody can pick up a card and use it. That
should smooth out the situation when a person wants a specific
card for their story. Right now they have to dig for it, which
can be a big pain for everybody.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx