Re: [Rabbits] store ordering

  • From"Superdairyboy" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 7 Dec 2006 20:27:50 -0500
  Here is the general big difference between Distributors and Manufactures.

  Most manufactures require you to order in case packs to order direct and
the pricing is generaly  cheaper by a buck or 2 Distributors allow you to
order 1's and 2's of items generaly at a slightly higher cost.
  A distributor provides one stop shopping for a retailer instead of
holding accts at several location. however distributors do not control
Retail pricing, so those manufactures that choose to use distributors have
a much harder time of controling prices.

   Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: TheLoneGoldfish <thelonegoldfish@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:17:24 -0600
To: Rabbits Discussion List <rabbits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Rabbits] store ordering

Ordering direct usually doesn't give a cheaper price because companies
really don't want to undercut their distributors (if they did, why would
the
distributors carry their product).

Instead, ordering direct is usually rewarded with promotional things (in
the
case of wizards, tournament prizes and stuff).

However, ordering direct usually comes at a cost to the store since if you
order from a distributor in sufficient quantity, they typically run a
discount based on how much you buy. So the store would not get that
discount
for the product ordered direct, and the product wouldn't aid in getting a
discount on everything else.

So there's good reasons for ordering direct and through a distributor, but
neither has enough impact to change the price at retail. (actually, what
would change the retail price is a promotional allowance [sale]... I saw
some information on the retailers page, perhaps you should point it out or
send a link so he can consider it for his next round of advertising [sale
prices must appear in advertising in order for him to get the discount and
then pass on that savings])

-Evan (who knows too damn much on how the distribution industry works)