Re: [Rabbits] Rabbit Only Items in Dangling Carrot (was Re:Gray'mids?)

  • From"Seth Ruskin" <rathorne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 28 Jan 2007 17:09:05 -0500
From: Marc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Let me put it another way.  In my proposed system, the total number of
Rabbit-only rewards you can receive is based solely on the amount of
Karma you have earned by doing Rabbity stuff.  In the current system,
the total number of such rewards has a maximum equal to the number of
Points you have ever earned, which can be reduced by the decision to
allocate more than one Point to a single reward, or to allocate Points
to something other than Rabbit-only rewards.

Hoarding: Spending the bare minimum of points on today's purchase so
points remain to permit future purchases, instead choosing to spend
dollars.  In the extreme case, spending exactly one Point on any item
with a cost listed in Points, and never spending Points on anything
else.

Banking: Choosing to forego today's reward in anticipation of a greater
reward tomorrow.

The 1 Karma per item method has the advantage of being almost exactly
like the current system, except without what could be perceived as the
"penalty" for spending Points on anything other than Rabbit-only
rewards.  The variable Karma cost idea is intended to address drawbacks
in that system's ability to correctly create incentives to earn Karma
(drawbacks which exist in the current system as well if you use the
degenerate point-hoarding strategy).

Wow. That's a great use of semantics, but to me you actually didn't say anything to explain why your system is an improvement. You really didn't even explain the difference between banking and hoarding, as this is a token economy, and you're purchasing your reward with these tokens either way. It's just in yours, I need two types of tokens.

Moreover, as far as I can tell, I have less incentive not to bank/hoard under your system because I can't offset the token cost. Under the current system, I can choose not to forego today's reward and still have enough tokens for a future reward, as long as I have some money available offset the cost to LL to give me that reward. Under yours, I must hoard my tokens if I want the future reward.

Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG