[Rabbits] [Event] TN Game Days 2007 Demo by Malachi Brown

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 13 Mar 2007 19:54:06 -0500
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Malachi Brown has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=malachi

========
Title: TN Game Days 2007 Demo
Location: Tennessee Game Days, Nashville
Date: March 10-11, 2007

After lamenting the difficulty of scoring rabbit points, a fellow rabbit and I decided that it would be possible to demo some Icehouse games at the Tennessee Game Days (March 9-11) as our first ever demo attempt.  After a little bit of discussion, we decided to demo Zendo and Undercut because those are two games we are both fairly passionate about.

We put a little bit of effort in to promoting the demos on the relevant mailing list for the event and on BGG, but since the event is almost exclusively casual gaming, it is difficult to get people to commit to a specific game at a specific time.

We planned to run the demos at 2pm on Saturday.  When the time rolled around, we only managed to snag two new players for what turned out to be a long game of Undercut (two hours), mostly due to a reverse race condition that can occur when players do not try to reduce their bid down to a reasonable size quickly.  However, everyone seemed to enjoy the game, and several people commented in passing that they liked the bits.

Because the Undercut game ran so long, we deferred the Zendo demo until the next day.  We found a couple new players to teach and we wound up playing three games of Zendo over the course of an hour and a half.  I was master the first round, and things went fairly smoothly.  My fellow rabbit was master the second round, and that also went smoothly.  Things went down hill a bit when we let one of the novice players be master in the third game.  The rule she selected was not all that difficult, in retrospect, but due to a coincidence in color selections made by the players, we all got way off track and ended up giving up after several failed guesses.  Despite that, everyone seemed to enjoy playing

Overall, the weekend was a lot of fun, and running the demos was not as difficult as I was afraid it might be.