RE: [Rabbits] Wiki Under Spambot Assault!

  • DateThu, 25 Oct 2007 07:47:46 -0700
Thanks for putting in reCAPTCHA. I don't think we need to white- or
blacklist, if it's successful in blocking registry AND if we set the
wiki so that only registered (i.e. logged-in) users may edit or create
pages.

URL blocking is nice for the spam; but these bots are just adding
garbage to the page (not URLs, yet), and they could still delete an
entire page's contents. Further, the Rabbit wiki in particular is rife
with off-site URLs (convention sites, IcehouseGames.org, Wunderland,
retailers, etc).

I really think halting registration (reCAPTCHA or admin approval only)
and requiring login to change anything on the site is the one-two punch
to stop them.

Thanks again;
David