Re: [Rabbits] IGDC Winter 2008 is ready for announcement tomorrow!

  • From"Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Oct 2007 12:56:40 -0500

> (Note: I *did* check; the first day of winter has crept forward one
> day... we're gettin' old, folks.)

It's not the simple. :)  The southern solstice is the actual moment
that the sun is furthest from the equator to the south, and that time
varies somewhat, year to year.  It doesn't creep in one particular
direction.

For 2007, it happens at December 22 at 06:08 UTC. That's 01:08 EST,
00:08 CST, 23:08 MST and 22:08 PST.

So, for those people who live on the left coast, the day of the
Solstice is still December 21, and in 2008, the Solstice is at 12:04
UTC on December 21.  This will be December 21 for all the US
timezones, but will be December 22 at 2:04 am in the Christmas
Islands.

So, the Solstice (actual time) changes from year to year, causing the
Solstice (day) to sometimes differ, depending on which time zone you
are in.

(Oh, and this probably ought to move to [Something] unless we can tie
it in to Andy's Stonehenge game) ;)

Timothy