Re: [Rabbits] Fluxx reference in webcomic

  • From"Tucker" <jazzfish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 28 Jan 2008 15:16:00 -0500 (EST)
> Before everyone starts getting all up in the "hey, let's get Andy to do a
> Cthulhu Fluxx deck!" remember that there are others who hold that
> copyright.
>  There was a card game (Mythos) put out by Chaosium, as well as the RPG.
>  Therefore, a Cthulhu Fluxx deck may be a long time coming.

That's an excellent point.

I'd thought that Chaosium Inc held the gaming-related license for all
HPL-related properties. But the recent Call of Cthulhu CCG was published
by Fantasy Flight Games, and Munchkin Cthulhu is of course by Steve
Jackson. So: either FFG and SJG negotiated with Chaosium (this seems most
likely in FFG's case, since I think CoC is actually a Chaosium trademark),
or they renegotiated with the HPL estate.

(Warning: the FFG website is fantasyflightgames.com and not
fantasyflight.com. The latter is decidedly NSFW.)

Regardless: the Mythos is a licensed property, and as such may cost big
bucks in licensing fees. Just ask TSR, when they tried to put Cthulhu and
Elric in "Deities and Demigods."

Oh well. I could see sanity-altering Keepers that did things like increase
your Draw by one (eldritch knowledge) while reducing your Play by one
(gibbering in a corner is not conducive to winning) as being really neat.

--
It is in the nature of poets to misuse their sources.
 --John M. Ford, "The Lost Dialogue"