Re: [Rabbits] Fluxx reference in webcomic

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 28 Jan 2008 13:30:06 -0700
Title: Message
Fair usage includes reference to cultural icons. Cthulhu is a geek cultural reference.

Thanks
Fred Poutre
Cloven Fruit Games

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:20:30 -0000 "Nimrod Jones" <nimrod@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I always understood that there was a certain amount of Public Domain with Cthulhu. Lovecraft himself enthusiastically endorsed other writers to expand upon the mythos and write within his world. Only certain phrases and creations have been copyrighted by Chaosium, and for the most part the whole issue of copyright was cocked up as he never stated in his will who should control his work. Indeed, work earlier than, I believe, 1923 is Public Domain (last I checked).

Also, aside from Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu (a scenario for which I'm currently in the middle of working on even as I take time out to write, here) and related card game, let's not forget other Cthulhu-inspired games such as Cthulhu 500, Munchkin Cthulhu, Arkham Horror, Do You Worship Cthulhu?, etc. I've even seen Cthulhu referenced quite blatantly in cartoons without, I'm sure, any fear of reprisal. Such as in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy in which there was an episode entitled "The Prank Call of Cthulhu".

So I don't actually think there would be a particular problem for the most part on the copyright front (so long as the terms or phrases that *have* been copyrighted are avoided or, at the least, paraphrased). Enough of the key ingredients that make up the mythos are free to make use of without any real problems. Despite that, alas, I agree that Cthulhu Fluxx may well be a pipe dream.