Re: Kind of Gamer (was: Re: [Rabbits] Fluxx Concepts/Expansion)

  • FromJoseph Pate <jpate@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 30 Jan 2008 11:14:29 -0800 (PST)
Hi Don:

Fair enough (and let me apologize for my horrendous typing skillz
in my previous post).  For me, it was the context and tone of the
message that led me to give that Gamer definition, as well as to
ascribe a negative connotation to it.  The bottom line [as I inferred;
maybe you would not take away the same impression] was ultimately
not strategy, but control.  People who think there's no strategy
to Fluxx have simply not played enough Fluxx, end of story.  I
definitely agree that there are games with more complex [and therefore,
potentially more satisfying] strategy elements, and there is
absolutely nothing wrong with preferring that in games.

A shorter answer:  many posts confirmed my suspicion that "that type
of gamer" believes that when they get ahead, they should stay ahead,
and that trend should not be reversible in one turn.  If that's your
thing, then I agree that Fluxx is too random for you.

I guess it would be like whittling your opponent down to 1 life in
M:tG and having them suddenly play "switch life totals with target player"
or something like that... and given that Fluxx has the potential for
1 game to last for hours, that could be frustrating.

In summary, I see your point, and I agree I was too harsh.

Cheers,
	 Joe

breakdown below pts rule name              description ----