Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Six-word stories

  • FromAllen Firstenberg <ll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 27 Oct 2006 10:43:58 -0400

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 07:24:10AM -0700, Elliott C. Evans wrote:

> and I've been
> trying to find a way to describe it. Once you're dedicated to
> oversimplifying something into six words, it becomes easy.

I think the difference is that you're trying to describe the stories,
rather than _tell_ the stories in six words.  For example while with
Dune

> Dune: Paul uses every advantage to win.

describes the story well, it doesn't really tell the story.
Perhaps something more like

Lose planet.  Get Spice.  Rule Universe.

> The Lord of the Rings: Even a ring can make mistakes.

"One Ring to rule them all."  (So, JRR actually wrote the six
word story, and just expanded on it... a little...)

Alice in Wonderland:  The rabbit is a dream.  Right?