Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Re: Please help me find a glass ball for Christmas!

  • From"JK Grence" <jkgrence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 4 Dec 2006 14:54:13 -0700
There's an interesting bit of counterintuitiveness going on with selecting ball size.  Bigger balls are for the most part easier to use (since they move slower), and look more spectacular to everyone but other contact jugglers.  They do have a couple of downsides.  One is that the big 4 inch balls are considerably heavier than 3 inch balls, and therefore a lot harder to play with them for a long time.  Another is that if you want to do multi-ball palm spinning (one of the things everyone thinks of when contact juggling is mentioned) is almost impossible with 4 inchers unless you have lumberjack hands.  My vote is with the 3 inch acrylic ones.

As I keep reading, through the discussion, there's a few things that pop to mind.  First is with passing the ball from the front to the back of your hand.  There are three basic ways to do this; the windshield wiper that a couple of people have mentioned, and also over the index finger, and finally over the pinky.  Switching between these and just rolling the ball from one hand to the other results in a highly kinetic display that dazzles very easily.

One of my favorite ways to practice hand and arm stalls is to walk around wherever you go carrying the ball in the stall position, such ans on the back of your hand.  You'll get quite a few people who will be very interested in how you keep the ball stuck to the back of your hand or on your elbow like that.

While the acrylic balls are very hard to break, they can scratch or chip if you aren't careful with them.  Avoid hard surfaces when you're just starting out, and avoid rough surfaces (such as areas paved with pebbles) at all costs.  You will get scratches pretty easily.  The easy way to remove minor scratches is with iPod polish.