Looney Labs Something Mailing list Archive

Re: [Something] Cheerio, chaps. A question for the Brits...

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 06 Mar 2007 07:53:41 -0800
On Tuesday, March 06, 2007, at 10:40AM, "Nick Moffitt" <nick@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Christopher Hickman:
>> I came across a story of some jackass that wrecked a really friggin'
>> expensive car, and in the "before" shot it shows the car parked along
>> a street with weird jagged lines painted along side.  Was the street
>> painter coming straight from several pints at the pub, or does that
>> design have some kind of special meaning?  Here's the photo: http://
>> www.wreckedexotics.com/special/veyron/before.jpg
>
>I'm also not from around here originally, but those tend to be for
>"soft" lane markers.  They're usually on the ground in situations where
>two cars could pass by each other if going slowly enough.  Usually
>people drive with one wheel right on top of the things until they need
>to worry about oncoming traffic or some other obstacle.

Yeah, I've now found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing#Zebra_Crossings_in_popular_culture

It says "zigzag lines at the curb and in the center of the road have been added to all zebra crossings to indicate the no-waiting zones on either side."