Looney Labs Aquarius Mailing list Archive

RE: [Aquarius] Aquarius gone wild?

  • FromScott Sulzer <ssulzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 05 Sep 2005 13:02:51 -0700
Well, don't have to like it. :)  I put out the topic to get responses,
so thank you for yours.  And, while I have no problems with Aquarius as
is, there are some of those who may have gone beyond the basics, so I
thought I would this idea forth.  Besides that, the Aquarius mailing
list has been really bare.

Actually, it spawned from the fact that there aren't nearly enough quad
cards to cover the large number of possible quad cards available.  This
was one option that I could see to allow for more quad card options to
be available.

And, while multi-player balance may be affected, mostly what I was
thinking about was the ability to use multi-panel wild cards for
Alison's Aquarius Challenge.  I.e. by just adding one multi-paneled wild
card, and which type, how many cards could the pattern be reduced to?
That type of theoretical discussion.

The reasoning behind the "this card works this way for you but that way
for me", was to prevent people from using wild panel cards to lay down
multiple panels.  Otherwise a person could theoretically have four
panels with the placement of only two cards.

While the joining of 7 panels could become much easier using wild
panels, my real questions are how much easier?  And would it be equally
easier as long as the cards were balanced?  Would quads make a greater
impact or duals?  Would it be better to add to the deck or replace from
the deck?  How many should be used? 5? 10? A full deck?

For a full deck composed of wild paneled cards, you could have 5 long
duals, 5 short duals and the rest would be quads.  This allows a single
player the variety of 2 "singles" (the duals with their element), 8
duals (the duals without their element) and 30 out of, umm, 120?
possible wild quad options.

Just with the Wild card, I'm not trying to change the base game, but I'm
trying to put forth an "advanced" option for those who want a new
challenge.  For anyone who doesn't like it, fine, no arguments, but if
you have an actual reason why it wouldn't work, I'd love to hear it.