Looney Labs Chrononauts Mailing list Archive

Re: [Chrononauts] Welcome to the 24th Century!

  • From"Robert Potter" <oldestgc86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 15 Apr 2006 09:12:36 -0500
Hey, it's totally understandable.

From: naheniL boB <avatar@xxxxxxx>
To: Chrononauts <chrononauts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Chrononauts] Welcome to the 24th Century!
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:41:40 -0700

At 12:11 4/14/2006, you wrote:
However, Don't all babies start female then change gender as the Y chromosome 'kicks in'. A small modification easily accomplished by the science of 300 years
in the future.

On the Y chromosome is a gene which causes testosterone to have a higher concentration than that of estrogen. This causes the gonads to develop into testes and not ovaries, and the rest of the sex determination process follows. Which of course means you can get some interesting (read: unfortunate) situations if a crossover event in the sex chromosomes occurs durig meiosis and the gene hops from Y to X.

Yay for lots of good answers to my questions! I wasn't really trying to be anal so much as get clarification and/or make the cards read better.

-Bob Linehan
avatar@xxxxxxx