Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

[Eco] Re: Fridges

  • Frommadlab.rabbit.krishaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateSat, 17 Feb 2007 07:40:35 +0900
Hi EcoRabbits,

I just read the new EcoFluxx Foundation update and I have a link
regarding fridges:

http://mtbest.net/chest_fridge.html

This is a converted chest freezer;

"My chest fridge (Vestfrost freezer turned into a fridge) consumes about
0.1 kWh a day. It works only about 2 minutes per hour. At all other
times it is perfectly quiet and consumes no power whatsoever. My
wind/solar system batteries and power-sensing inverter simply love it."

The reason why this is so efficient is that when you open a normal
vertical fridge, all the cold falls out.  By having a door on the top,
you lose very little cold when you open it.  And the conversion is as
simple as a third-party thermostat that switches the freezer off at the
wall at a higher temperature than it would normally turn itself off at.

Enjoy,

Chris (Krisjohn) Johnson.