Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Mothering Magazine

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateFri, 16 Feb 2007 17:51:26 -0500 (EST)
> I did look into banner ads with them

Did you place one, or was it too expensive?  I remember you were looking
for "cheap", but I don't know what ad prices are like...and I spend a lot
of time on their discussion boards and haven't seen Looney ads.

> Do they do reviews of toys and games?  I see book reviews...

Book reviews are a regular feature, but I've seen articles on toys and
games every once in a while.  They do not run "advertorial" the way more
mainstream magazines do.

Speaking of those mainstream mags, though, I get the impression that they
will plug practically anything they get a press release about, so here are
the names of the biggest parent magazines for you to research:
Parents
Parenting
Child

> It looks like it's both a print magazine and a web site?

Yes.  The articles on the Web are only a sample of what's in the magazine.

> As someone who reads this magazine... can you help me figure out how
> to pitch our story to them?
> ... what would readers of mothering magazine like about Looney Labs?

The angle I'd suggest is home-schooling and home enrichment for kids who
attend school, emphasizing EcoFluxx and Chrononauts and the more
brain-stimulating pyramid games like Zendo.  The versatility of the
pyramids is a great selling point where kids are concerned, because as
they outgrow one game they can move on to another without buying more
pieces.  Also, play up the eco angle of EcoFluxx, because a lot of readers
are concerned about the environment and raising kids to live in harmony
with nature.

> Your a great
> writer - would you like to pitch writing a story about Looney Labs?

Thanks, but I don't think I have enough experience for it.  I have played
your games occasionally with my Girl Scouts, with young cousins, and with
kids who show up at cons...but I haven't had time to really observe kids
learning from the games.  Nicholas loves to play with pyramids, but so far
they're kind of like Legos to him; he doesn't play formal games yet.

I think you want to recruit someone from your Edu list who has used your
games a lot with older kids, at home or in school.
---'Becca