Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] vegan, vegetarian, mindful?

  • FromTVTom <televisionthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 16 Aug 2007 18:53:57 -0400
On 8/16/07, becca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <becca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm like Luisa: I will eat safer seafoods once in a while and poultry
> rarely.  One other thing: I'll eat meat (any kind I don't find totally
> repulsive) if it's otherwise going to be thrown away.  I figure it's
> better for somebody to eat it than for all that energy to have gone into
> making meat that then gets wasted!
>
> Occasionally, too, I will wind up buying one turkey sandwich when I am
> feeling very run-down and dizzy.  It makes me feel so much better.  Does
> anybody know what is in the turkey that does this, and what is a
> convenient vegetarian source of the same nutrients?  Iron seems the
> obvious thing, but I take iron supplements and eat lots of beans and
> broccoli and raisins and iron-fortified cereal and pasta.
>
> It's easy for me to get enough protein at home, but when traveling I
> sometimes have problems.  When I did recycling at GenCon, for example, I
> got by on veggie pizza and bagels with creamcheese and salads and veggie
> burgers and baked potatoes, but I was doing so much physical labor that I
> really needed more protein!  (And I had this horrible experience where I
> waited in line forever planning to buy a big dish of hummus, but when I
> finally got up there, the clerk said, "We're out of hummus.  Try our Greek
> salad; you will like!" and I, light-headed with hunger, wound up paying $6
> for what turned out to be 80% parsley!!!)  I did not recover from the
> depleted feeling until I ate turkey a couple of days after getting home.
> Since then, I usually bring a jar of nuts with me on trips.
> ---'Becca

The best sources of protein are beans of all kinds, raw nuts and
seeds, and green leafy vegetables (which have more protein per calorie
than meat, but not per serving, because they are not calorie-dense
foods).  Also whole grains contain protein and are filling.  Here is a
chart. -Tom

http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html#Charts

Protein in Raw Nuts and Seeds (shelled)
Nut/Seed (1/4 cup) 	Protein Grams
Almond 	7
Brazil nut 5
Cashew 	4
Chestnut 1
Coconut (shredded) 2
Filbert/Hazelnut 5
Flax seed 5
Macadamia 2
Peanut 	8
Pecan 	2
Pine nut 4
Pistachio 6
Pumpkin seed 	7
Sesame seed 	7
Soynut 	10
Sunflower seed 	8
Walnut 	5

Protein in Beans(cooked)
Bean 1 cup	Protein Grams
Adzuki (Aduki) 	17
Anasazi 	   15
Black Beans 	15
Black-eyed Peas 	14
Cannellini (White Beans) 17
Cranberry Bean 	17
Fava Beans 	13
Garbanzos (Chick Peas) 	15
Great Northern Beans 	15
Green Peas, whole 	9
Kidney Beans 	15
Lentils 	    18
Lima Beans 	15
Mung Beans 	14
Navy Beans 	16
Pink Beans 	15
Pinto Beans 	14
Soybeans 	29
Split Peas 	16

Protein in Grains(cooked)
Grain 1 cup 	Protein Grams
Amaranth 	7
Barley, pearled 	4 to 5
Barley, flakes 	4
Buckwheat groats 	5 to 6
Cornmeal (fine grind) 	3
Cornmeal (polenta, coarse) 	3
Millet, hulled 	8.4
Oat Groats 	6
Oat, bran 	7
Quinoa 	5
Rice, brown 	3 to 5
Rice, white 	4
Rice, wild 	7
Rye, berries 	7
Rye, flakes 	6
Spelt, berries 	5
Teff 	6
Triticale 	25
Wheat, whole berries 	6 to 9
Couscous, whole wheat 	6
Wheat, bulgur 	5 to 6

Protein in Meat, Chicken, Fish Substitutes
Product* 	Serving Size	Protein Grams
Boca Burger Original Vegan 	2.5 oz 	13
GardenVegan Veggie Patties 	2.5 oz 	9
Health is Wealth Chicken-Free Patties 	3 oz. 	14
Health is Wealth Yummie Burger 	2.5 oz. 	12
Lightlife Gimme Lean 	2oz. 	8
Lightlife Smart Cutlets
Seasoned Chicken 	3 oz. 	26
Lightlife Smart Deli Combos 	2.7 oz. 	17
Lightlife Smart Dogs 	1.5 oz. 	9
Mon Cuisine Breaded Chicken Patties 	3 oz. 	7
Morningstar Farms Original Grillers 	2.3 oz 	15
Nate's Meatless Meatballs (3) 	1.5 oz 	10
Natural Touch Vegan Burger 	2.7 oz 	11
Natural Touch Veggie Medley 	2.3 oz 	11
SoyBoy Vegan Okara Burger 	3 oz. 	13
SoyBoy Vegetarian Franks 	1.5 oz. 	11
Starlite Cuisine Soy Taquitos 	2 oz. 	7
White Wave Seitan 	3 oz. 	31
Whole Foods 365 Meat Free Vegan Burger 	2.5 oz. 13
Yves Canadian Veggie Bacon (3 slices) 	2 oz. 	17
Yves Veggie Burger 	3 oz. 	16
Yves Veggie Chick'n Burgers 	3 oz. 	17
Yves Veggie Dogs 	1.6 oz. 	11

*All items vegan

Protein in Hot Cereals (cooked)
Cereal	Cup	Protein Grams
Arrowhead Mills Corn Grits 	1/4 	3
Arrowhead Mills 7 Grain 	1/4 	4
Bob's 8 Grain 	1/4 	4
Bob's 10 Grain 	1/4 	6
Bob's Kamut 	1/4 	5
Bob's Triticale 	1/4 	4
Bob's Whole Grain Cracked Wheat 1/4 	5
Cream of Rye 	1/3 	5
Kashi 	1/2 	6
Mother's Multigrain 	1/2 	5
Quaker Old Fashioned Oats 	1/2 	5
Quinoa Flakes 	1/3 	3
Roman Meal Hot Cereal 	1/3 	5
Wheatena 	1/3 	5

Protein in Fresh Vegetables (cooked)
Vegetable	Serving	Protein Grams
Artichoke 	medium 	4
Asparagus 	5 spears 	2
Avocado 	med. 	4
Beans, string 	1 cup 	2
Beets 	1/2 cup 	1
Broccoli 	1/2 cup 	2
Brussels Sprouts 	1/2 cup  2
Cabbage 	1/2 cup 	1
Carrot 	1/2 cup 	1
Cauliflower 	1/2 cup 	1
Celeriac 	1 cup 	1
Celery 	1 cup 	1
Chard, Swiss 	1 cup 	3
Chayote 	1 cup 	1
Chives 	1 oz. 	8
Collards 	1 cup 	4
Corn, Sweet 	1 large cob 	5
Cucumber 	1 cup 	1
Eggplant 	1 cup 	1
Fennel 	1 medium bulb 	3
Jerusalem Artichoke 	1 cup 	3
Kale 	1 cup 	2.5
Kohlrabi 	1 cup 	3
Leeks 	1 cup 	1
Lettuce 	1 cup 	1
Okra 	1/2 cup 	1
Onion 	1/2 cup 	1
Parsnip 	1/2 cup 	1
Peas 	1/2 cup 	4
Peppers, bell 	1/2 cup 	1
Potato, baked with skin  2 1/3 x 4 3/4"  5
Potato, boiled with skin  1/2 cup 	1
Radish 	1 cup 	1
Rhubarb 	1 cup 	1
Rutabaga 	1 cup 	2
Spinach 	1 cup 	1
Squash, Summer 	1 cup 	2
Squash, Winter 	1 cup 	2
Sweet Potato 	1 cup 	3
Tomato 	1 medium 	1
Turnip 	1 cup 	1

Protein in Nut Butters
Nut/Seed (2 Tablespoons) ProteinGrams
Almond 5 to 8
Cashew 	4 to 5
Peanut 	7 to 9
Sesame Tahini 6
Soy Nut 6 to 7

Protein in Milk Substitutes Beverage
1 cup 	Protein Grams
Soy Regular 	6 to 9
Soy Low/Nonfat  4
Rice 	1
Rice and Soy 	7
Almond 	1 to 2
Oat 	4
Multigrain 5

Protein in Soy Products
Product 	Serving Size	Protein Grams
Tofu Medium to Extra Firm 	3 oz. 	7 to 12
Tofu Soft or Silken 	3 oz. 	4 to 6
Tempeh 	4 oz. 	12 to 20
Textured Vegetable Protein TVP 1/4 cup  10 to 12