Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] been pplaying cosmic coasters

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 04 Aug 2006 17:25:41 -0400
Just a quickie response:
Kimberly: I love what you're doing, and your reasoning is the reason I replied! :) As for RCT: the kid loves it, he hasn't been this excited about something since we started reading 'So You Want To Be A Wizard'. He just loves working with me 1:1, and he really does well. I wish I had more time to do it, and its one of the reasons I took him over the summer. He built his own roller coaster yesterday for the first time... took us nearly an hour to get one that the guests would get on, because his first attempts were 'ultra-extreme' and nobody would ride it. He wanted to give up, but I wouldn't let him, so we kept building and rebuilding. I think it helped that I was doing the mousing and he only had to respond verbally or point. That gave him time to organize and didn't overwhelm him... And he surprised me: I asked him why the 2nd hill on a coaster track couldn't be bigger than the first one, and also what the 'G' stood for.. and he knew both answers! :) It wasn't the knowing that surprised me... it was the way he easily got it out, and was very confident. I know he has it in him, and he'd be a great candidate for a GED if we could just build that confidence. He is one of many kids that just needs that 1:1 attention as much as possible.

Magi

Kimberly Terrill wrote:

That's the thing. Not that it is important or a big deal- but with 4 people with autism disorders- it's hard to deal with the fact that they are obviously moons yet called planets. And no one ever knows if they should be called moons like they are named orplanets becuase the rules say they are. In the real world, it's not a big deal they are moons called planets- but in teaching, esp special needs kids- it can be a very big deal. And this is an educational, teaching list, so I thought it was okay to mention what things about the game aren't working in teaching my my kids. We will give it another try. The boys wanted to play that when you land on a ship instead of automatically destroying it, you play RPS to see if it is destroyed (which means the tleport inhibitor got to play RPS twice) I let them, but the next game we went to the real rules. my 9 yr old now refuses to play. Oh, well. My ADHDAspie likes Roller Coaster Tycoon- but the computer version. (not sure if you were talking about a board game version) He actaully likes Zoo Tycoon. My ADD andother LD kid loved roller coaster tycoon a lot. He can play it all day on the computer. (did you know they have a MOON Tycoon?) Buy my boys all have great imaginations- I always hear kids on the autism spectrum often don't, I guess I got lucky there. Of course it usually has to be something THEY want to imagine....