Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] objectionable to the staff/parents?

  • From"Yves" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 17 Dec 2006 18:07:44 -0800
Magi's comments are spot on. Thank you; you expressed my thoughts that I
could not put words to. (Guess that's why I teach math!)

>From experiences in my district, I know that we are expected as teachers
to not discuss controversial topics with students without specific
parent approval. The most difficult part is identifying the
controversial topics before you actually reach that point in your
discussions.

This is frustrating! I kept rewriting a paragraph illustrating real life
examples where teachers I know have gotten suspended for responding to
students questions about topics that people outside of school speak
about all the time, that I am actually choosing not to include now
because I want to make sure it doesn't come back to haunt me out of
context (once on the Internet, forever on the Internet). Teachers are,
with somewhat a good reason, guilty until proven innocent. Is this
censorship of sorts? Yes. Is it life? Unfortunately, yes.

Yves