Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Math and Science Fluxx Ideas

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 08:29:07 -0600
Well, good idea, but not mathematically correct.
Many 3 dimensional object can be defined by the two dimensional shapes that when intersected at a 90 degree angle create the object.

A pyramid is the result of two triangles intersected at a 90 degree angle.
A cube is the result of a two squares intersected at a 90 degree angle.
A sphere is the result of a two circles intersected at a 90 degree angle.

Try making the shapes from wire (they do have to be the same size of course), and intersecting them at 90 degree angles.

A cylinder is really just the results of connecting two circles on different y axis.
A cone is really just the results of connecting a circle to a point on different y axis.
And there are other means of graphing either of those.

Triangle + Circle might work for Cone; but Circle + Square simply can not work of Cylinder. Squares are defined by their 90 degree angles.
Cylinders do not have to be on the same y axis defining the 90 degree angle ||.They can be tilted //.

It really is a very good idea, I have to think how to make it function within the limitations of Fluxx.
Keep in mind that I majored in math, I have a particular love for geometry, and that I am mathematically pissy about some things.

The Simple Machines are very well done.

Thanks
Fred Poutre
Cloven Fruit Games