Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Math and Science Fluxx Ideas

  • FromFred Poutre <cloven-fruit@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 18 Sep 2007 09:56:31 -0600
>What?  Oh, come on that's totally close enough.  It's not even a stretch
to accept >square + circle = cylinder.  Given the basis for all these
other "formulas," if those >work, this one works too.  While I wouldn't
call any of them deep mathematical truths, >they do form a coherent
working concept.

I might grant rhombus, grudgingly (granted I would be grudging about
circle + triangle for cone).

As for cones and cylinders I would suggest:
circle + point + 3D = cone
2 circles + set of parallel lines + 3D = cylinder

I would suggest that you include a point keeper, a line keeper, a set of
parallel lines keeper, a 90 degree intersection keeper, and a 3D keeper.

Ok, are the goals 3D objects or 2D shapes, for starters?
_____________________
Going with 3D gaols.
Keepers:
Point
Circle
Equilateral Triangle
Rhombus
Parallel Lines
90 Degree Intersection
3D

Goals:
Cylinder = Circle + Parallel Lines + 3D
Cone = Circle + Point + 3D
Box = Rhombus + 90 Degree Intersection
Sphere = Circle + 90 Degree Intersection
Pyramid = Equilateral Triangle + 90 Degree Intersection
Tetrahedron = Equilateral Triangle + 3D
Torque =  Circle + 3D
Just as an example.

Thanks