Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Introducing young ones to Fluxx

  • From"Chris Palmer" <scp-fluxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 18 Dec 2005 16:27:22 -0500 (EST)
Greetings,

So, I have been introducing my soon-to-be 4 year old daughter (bday on
Xmas eve) to Fluxx. So far, she loves it (it definately passes the "Let's
Play Again" test.) I would like to share how I am easing her into being a
game geek like her dear-old-dad, and get some ideas from you folks on the
next steps if you have done something similar (or just to hear if you have
any improvements on my methods.)

She has no clue about a "hand" of cards. I have been trying to teach this
by playing "Go Fish" with her. So, for now, we are just using "Draw 1,
Play 1" with no hand as the only rules with a 3.1 deck. We go around the
table drawing cards and playing them immediately. If it is a Keeper, you
just throw it down in front of you. If it is a Goal, that's the new goal
for the game. I have pretty much removed all of the New Rule and Action
cards (except for "Reverse Order" and Take "Another Turn,") so it is
largely just a game of chance ;) . But what the hey, we still have tons of
fun and she is learning the basics of the goals.

Here's the list of what we have been playing with:

Keepers:
Time
The Sun
The Toaster
Chocolate
Bread
The Brain
Cookies
Death
Dreams
Television
Milk
War
The Rocket
Love
Peace
The Moon
Sleep
Money

Action:
Take Another Turn

New Rule:
Reverse Order

Goals:
Squishy Chocolate
Night and Day
Toast
Death by Chocolate
Bed Time
Hippyism
The Brain (No TV)
Rocket to the Moon
Rocket Science
5 Keepers (we just play through this one normally since we are just
dumping keepers out of the deck and normally have tons in front of us)
Baked Goods
War = Death
Peace (No War)
All You Need is Love
Chocolate Milk
Winning the Lottery
The Appliances
Time is Money
Hearts and Minds
Chocolate Cookies
Milk and Cookies
Dreamland

We have also been playing a modified "no hands" version Kinder Bunnies and
a game I made up with 3 six sided slot machine dice where you throw a coin
or glass counter into an old Magic: The Gathering deck box with a dragon
on it before you roll. When the dice match (three cherries, lemons, etc.)
you have successfully stolen all of the dragon's loot. ;) I know... it's
lame, but she has a blast with it.

I am looking for more games that we can have fun with where no reading is
required, but will teach her strategy, numbers, logic, whatever. I have
never played with Icehouse, is this a candidate?

Regards,
--
Chris Palmer
scp-fluxx <at> cryptical <dot> net