Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Introducing young ones to Fluxx

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 18 Dec 2005 14:49:48 -0800 (PST)
Sounds like you're doing a great job, Chris!  And I'm
sure your daughter is having a wonderful time.  :o)
As for other games to try with her, I would think
Aquarius might be the best for now.  There's almost no
reading (she should be able to memorize the few cards
that do require reading), and there is some strategy
involved, as well as spatial skills, which are
important to foster at that age.  Q-Turns may be
another possibility.

Outside of the Looney Labs games, she might enjoy the
paper-and-pencil game Dots.  Or Buzz (or Buzz Fizz if
you want to make it harder).  Or there's lots of good
card games--War, Crazy 8's, Rummy, I Doubt It...  The
Cranium people also have several good games for young
people, though I'm not sure how much strategy or logic
they involve.  Another possibility would be the games
in the kindergarten version of Everyday Math (see
everydaymath.uchicago.edu).

Logic is also developed through vocabulary
development, especially categorization and seeing the
connections between ideas.  How about "I Spy" or the
chanting version of Concentration (not Memory) in
which you have to keep the rhythm while naming items
in a category.  Players create a rhythm by slapping
knees twice, then clapping twice and repeating while
chanting:  "Con-cen-tra-tion, concen-tration now
be-ginning.  Keep the rhy-thm, keep the beat.
Category:  _______ (maybe types of toys, or boys'
names, or animals)"  Play then moves from person to
person, each one calling out a name on the claps.  If
they can't think of one fast enough, they're out.

Some of these may be too easy for her, and some too
hard.  Kids are so varied in their skills and
interests at that age.  But hope this gives you some
more ideas.  :o)

Laurie