Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Introducing young ones to Fluxx

  • FromTonya Weaver <weavertr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 20 Dec 2005 06:03:33 -0800 (PST)
Chris,

I'm in the same predicament, with 2 nieces who are (very soon to be) 3 and two nephews, 6 and 4.  Trying to find games that are age appropriate, but with enough strategy for adults can cause a headache.

I've had great success with Playroom Entertainment games.  One is Gopher It, which is a collection and counting game.  Right Turn, Left Turn is another which helps with directions.  I've not played that one but have not heard back negative reports from their parents.  This is also the same company that does Kinder Bunnies, which the 4 year old picked up really quick, although his sister did not like the idea of her brother taking her bunnies away, but has since learned that this is the goal of the game.  The link is below.  Kai Piranja is another game with sequences of big, bigger, biggest, etc.
http://www.playrooment.com/Default.aspx?tabid=424

Don't limit them to kid's games either.  The 4 year old requested that I bring over Shadows over Camelot so often his dad went out and bought the game for him.  It does require coaching, but all the adults are patient enough to let him think through the strategy (with a little help).  I know his parents have been teaching him Carcassonne as well.  Even last night, we were playing the tile version of MahJongg, and all the kids were interested enough to at least stop and ask what we were playing and helped shuffle tiles, etc.  I don't think it will be long before before Dominos and the like will be in their repetoire.  If it is a game they see parents and other adults playing frequently, they will pick it up just to spend time with the adults, and spending time with the kids is the ultimate goal for us, right?

Also, don't forget about Nanofictionary.  I adapted this so the kids pick a card of each type and I just make up a story with the cards they hand me.  Definately not according to the rules, but it keeps them occupied and happy, and forces me to be creative on the spot.  And I also mimic the suggestion of Aquarius.  I know there were some suggestions a while ago on how to adapt this to younger children.

Most of these you can ask your Looney Labs retailer for (unless you order directly from LLabs directly, in which case, stick with just the Looney Labs games for that part.)  They may need to special order them, as at least the game store I have nearby is focused on more adult games, but I know my retailer has not refused my request to at least try to get a game in stock.  If he can't get it in for some reason, I then usually check www.gamefest.com.

For Christmas this year, they are getting Hisss (colors and matching) and Family Fluxx, which they have been asking for for months!
Patricia Cheng <patricia.cheng@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris,

I think you are doing a great job! What an awesome idea.

As another list member mentioned, Cranium has some good games. I
really like Zigity, but she'll need to know numbers and be able to
add to 11.

My all time favorite logic game for all ages is Set. (http://
www.setgame.com/) There are just shapes, colors, numbers (1, 2, 3),
and shades. You can manipulate the deck to fit her level.

Patricia