Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Eight New Card Ideas...

  • From"S Mattison" <s.mattison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 14 May 2006 11:48:50 -0700
I don't really have my own page for these (My page is really just for
showing off my Shockwave exploits), so I thought I'd just post them
here. New rules et al.

"Actions as Instants" : When I first saw Action cards, my mind
wandered to Magic the Gathering, and I wondered if these were similar
to Instants. This card would effectively make all Action cards
playable when it is not your turn. Of course, that leads to Action
cards like "Go Fish" and "Draw 3 Play 2 of them" allowing you to take
a turn in the middle of someone else's turn, but that's part of the
fun.
Now, with Flavor Text!: (Is it just me, or are a lot of Fluxx players
violently opposed to the "instants" idea? They don't seem to be so
opposed to instantly drawing or playing more cards when they play a
Draw/Play rule though!)

"Basixx Reset" : Only valid for Mike Shanley's "Basixx replacing"
decks, This serves as an extra "Basic Rules" card, sort of. Since it's
an action, it can theoretically be played at any time, assuming the
"actions as instants" card is in play. ;)

"Self Restraint" : Similar to "Personal Goals", this Rule card forces
all further Rules to be played in front of your set of keepers. Rules
played apply only to the person who played them. Rules that would
replace your rules must replace them as normal. When the 'self
restraint' card becomes trashed, all rules are merged into the middle,
with higher numbers taking precedence. (Play all would beat out Play
2, for instance)

"Triple Entente" : Similar to Double Agenda, only it allows three
goals at once. Because hey, there are a lot of goals in this deck.

Algebraic cards! ----------------------
Exx = Exx + One : (All cards have one added, regardless of whether the
numbers on the card are Cardinal or Ordinal, or written with words or
in Western(hindu/arabic) notation)

X=X-1 : This card affects all cards except for the Basic Rules. Play
all is now effectively "Play all but one". This card may be replaced
by an addition card.

X=X*2 : This card affects all cards, including X=X+1. This is played
out as following the tenet of "Multiplication takes precedence over
Addition or Subtraction." Therefore, all cards are doubled, and then 2
is added. This card may be replaced by a division card. Players who
play "Let's Simplify" may now choose to discard all of the rules.

X=X/2 : This card affects all cards except for the Basic Rules. Play
all is now effectively "Play half your cards". If any number is
un-even, round up. Division takes precedence over Addition or
Subtraction. This card may be replaced by a multiplication card.
Players who play "Let's Simplify" may now only discard a quarter of
the rules.