Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Eight New Card Ideas...

  • FromBill Barksdale <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 14 May 2006 21:35:26 -0400
On May 14, 2006, at 2:48 PM, S Mattison wrote:
"Actions as Instants" : When I first saw Action cards, my mind
wandered to Magic the Gathering, and I wondered if these were similar
to Instants. This card would effectively make all Action cards
playable when it is not your turn. Of course, that leads to Action
cards like "Go Fish" and "Draw 3 Play 2 of them" allowing you to take
a turn in the middle of someone else's turn, but that's part of the
fun.
Now, with Flavor Text!: (Is it just me, or are a lot of Fluxx players
violently opposed to the "instants" idea? They don't seem to be so
opposed to instantly drawing or playing more cards when they play a
Draw/Play rule though!)

Violently opposed with good reason. If you allow players to play cards at "any time", either you introduce a race condition or you have to construct a system of priority. The consequence of the latter can be seen in Magic Online, where essentially whenever anyone does anything every other player has to, in sequence, say they don't want to do anything in response. The consequence of the former is that it basically changes the character of the game, and most reflex card games (e.g. Apples to Apples) are relatively simple.

--Bill Barksdale