Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

[Geeks] Re: List problem

  • FromDoug Orleans <dougo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 8 Jun 2005 18:16:53 -0400
kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx writes:
 > Doug,
 > If the mailing list isn't in the Reply-To field, where would it be,
 > the Cc field?

It's in the To header.  (It's also in the X-BeenThere header, and in
the List-Post header in the form of a mailto URL.)

 > Correct me if I'm wrong, if the original sender included a Reply-To
 > field then when a user hit "Reply All" a "reasonable" mail client
 > would send replies to that Reply-To address plus any Cc addresses
 > but NOT the From address.

Correct (plus any To addresses).  Reply-To, as I interpret RFC 2822,
means "replace the From address when replying".  A MUA that (by default)
doesn't do this seems broken to me.

--dougo@xxxxxxxxx