Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] Binary Dice

  • FromPat <xenophule@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 2 Mar 2007 19:47:08 -0800
That is actually really interesting. I will treasure these statistics.

_pat

On 3/2/07, Caleb Welton <cewelton@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
For Dx, where x < 13, the problem is solvable by simply leaving off the leading
0's.  In this range there are no cases where an "upside down" number could be
mistaken for a different number in the same range.  For x < 11 there is no
number that could be mistaken for a different number.

On a 4 sided die the question is actually moot since the geometry of the die
enforces correct orientation.

But if you wanted to combine multiple 8 sided dice to produce larger bit
numbers then I can see the potential desirability of keeping the leading 0's.
In which case font, delimiter characters, coloring, and underlining would all
work depending on your own aesthetic preferences.

-Caleb