Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] another question from Kristin...

  • From"Chris Lowell" <jingleddr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 7 May 2007 21:57:40 -0400
It's such a high cost- and $2350 sounds right, if a tad on the high-middle end, for a modern drive- because for a busted drive they typically have to spin it up slowly (read as: nowhere near the speed that whizzing sound your PC makes when it spins up the HD to read stuff) and read all the data off to another drive/tape, which is time-consuming and painful. Though if it's Seagate, as long as the hard drive failure wasn't complete and total ( i.e. some form of fire or explosion!) they should do a VERY good job with it- expect near-total recovery for that price.

~Chris