Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] another question from Kristin...

  • From"Chris Ballowe" <cballowe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 7 May 2007 23:01:54 -0700
I have heard good things about SpinRite as well.  I will ask around at work on Tuesday for other ideas.

Chris Ballowe
cballowe[at]comcast.net
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Kice
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2007 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Geeks] another question from Kristin...

There are two lower priced options you might want to try first:

 - First, SpinRite can do a low-level repair of a hard drive, even it if it can't recognize the partition.  (It can do everything from Windows to Mac to TiVo.)

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

 - Second, Stellar makes a piece of software that will scan a drive that has been damaged and recover files.  You can use the "free" version to see what will be recovered and then pay for the software if it will work.  I used it to salvage work from a toasted drive and I got back just about everything.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/index.htm

Both of these assume that the drive can spin on its own.  If there is a hardware problem, you could always get a drive of the same model and swap out the circuit board on the back.  If it's not the motor or read arm that are the issue, that should let you spin it back up.

Chris