Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] another question from Kristin...

  • FromJoseph Peterson <jeepeterson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 8 May 2007 00:03:46 -0700 (PDT)
> are any of our geeks knowledgeable on the subject of hard drive data
> recovery?

I hope you find someone to recover this data.  I never had much luck,
myself.  It takes some specialized software, and depending on the cause
of the fault, might require some specialized h/w too.

> He sent the drive to Seagate, and they want $2350 to recover it!

That seems pretty reasonable.  If there are the right geeks here, they
might be able to recover the data.  There are some tools I know of to
recover data from NTFS, but I don't think it will work on HFS or
whatever file system is used on Macs nowadays.

> We need the data...  do I just pay it?

Ouch.  If you need it, I'd suggest you pay the pros.  If you "need it"
but could manage without it if it is beyond repair, then one of the
other geeks might be able to help out.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

-JEEP