Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] another question from Kristin...

  • FromShae Matijs Erisson <shae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 07 May 2007 21:52:26 -0500
"Chris Kice" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Both of these assume that the drive can spin on its own.  If there is a
> hardware problem, you could always get a drive of the same model and swap out
> the circuit board on the back.  If it's not the motor or read arm that are
> the issue, that should let you spin it back up.

If the drive motor is weak but not quite dead, you can sometimes jiggle (three
to five twists a second) the drive a few degrees around its long axis when it
first gets power and it'll spin up anyway. Even if that does work, it probably
won't work more than three or four times.

Can you say what speed, size, and model of Seagate drive it is?
Sometimes you can find drive-specific tricks on google.

I'd also suggest an automated nightly backup setup for the future.
(Not like I did that before I lost data the first time.)
--
I've tried to teach people autodidactism,                | ScannedInAvian.com
but it seems they always have to learn it for themselves.| Shae Matijs Erisson