Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] Web Forum Options for Looney Labs' Lists

  • FromCraig Forbes <cpforbes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 6 Nov 2009 14:34:11 -0600
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:20 PM, David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On the Icehouse list, Craig asked me to chime in on experience with forum
> software and its capability to host all the lists while also maintaining
> listserv functionality. OK.

At the moment this is purely research.  I don't want to imply that we
will implementing a web forum.

> I use Simple Machine Forum on http://glasscutter.org/forums and it allows
> for notification of new topics and of replies to topics in which you reply.
> So you can:
> * get a notification for each new topic, on any and all board(s) (i.e.
> sub-forums) you choose, and
> * automatically or electively be notified of replies to topics in which you
> post.

So after I get a message about a new topic I have to reply to it (or
presumably opt in without replying) to get further notifications?
Can you request to be emailed every message in certain board (to be
more mailing list like)?
Do the email notifications do the right thing with the In-Reply-To
header so threading mail readers can do the right thing?

> It does not, however, work in reverse: you can't email the forum and make a
> new topic or reply. And there is no Digest functionality to speak of, aside
> from the obvious "digest view" of looking at a boards list of topics (new
> ones are bold).

I think good 2-way email integration is a requirement for replacing a
mailing list with a forum.

Have you (or anyone) used Nabble much? I personally prefer mailing
lists so I haven't attempted to use Nabble as the primary interface to
any mailing lists.

 -Craig