Re: [Icehouse] Martian Hold'em Blinds

  • FromDenis Moskowitz <dmm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 14 Sep 2005 15:33:20 -0400 (EDT)
> 2. When to advance blinds.  I think it's a better solution to advance the blinds every so many hands.  Most of the folks I was playing with are used to advancing the blinds based on time -- once every half hour or so.  But they were willing to humor me since I was supplying most of the beer.  Let's face it, basing the blinds on the number of hands played is the more obvious solution as long as you have a nice way to count hands.  How is it done in the "pros"?

In professional Vegas poker tables, as well as in the big televised
tournaments, they advance the blinds by time.  This is absolutely
necessary in multi-table tournaments, as different tables move through
hands at different rates, and you need to be able to redistribute and
join up tables as people drop out, so the blinds need to be consistent
across the entire tournament.  30 minutes is the usual rate, though some
tournaments may speed it up as the blinds get high or the number of
players shrinks, to keep the game from dragging out.
Single-table tournaments also use timers, either for consistency or
because it's easier to keep track of, though they may be slightly faster
(20 minutes) depending as always on who's running it.
--
Denis M Moskowitz            Jen feroca malbona kuniklo; rigardu liajn
dmm@xxxxxxxxxxx              sovagxajn vangharojn, kaj liajn ungojn kaj