[Icehouse] Martian Hold'em Blinds

  • Fromkerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx
  • DateWed, 14 Sep 2005 19:13:38 +0000
I have two "survey" questions for Martian Hold'em players.

1. Upper blinds.  We had a seven-player game that went ("dragged on" for the players that were already out) past the 50/100 blinds round.  I made a quick addition to the table and said that after 50/100 comes 75/150.  That was sufficient to knock out the third-to-last player.  If the game had gone on past that, I think we should have started back back at the top of the blinds table but with a 100x multiplier: 100/200, 200/500, etc.

Does that seem reasonable, or should we have just stayed at 50/100 for as long as it took?

2. When to advance blinds.  I think it's a better solution to advance the blinds every so many hands.  Most of the folks I was playing with are used to advancing the blinds based on time -- once every half hour or so.  But they were willing to humor me since I was supplying most of the beer.  Let's face it, basing the blinds on the number of hands played is the more obvious solution as long as you have a nice way to count hands.  How is it done in the "pros"?

2a. If counting hands is the preferred way to advance blinds, is there any interest in some cute little widget to track the the current blinds and the the number of hands played with these blinds (something handier than a bowl of zendo stones)?

Let me know what you think.

Ryan