Re: [Icehouse] 30 Pointer Alert

  • From"Ryan McGuire" <kerry_and_ryan@xxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 3 Mar 2007 23:52:29 -0500
Except that those formulas don't produce the "standard" dimensions as I understand them. Unless I'm mistaken the sizes are as follows:

   Small  1 x 9/16
   Medium 1 3/8 x 25/32
   Large  1 3/4 x 1

Are these not the dimensions you started with?

Given those dimensions, the formulae would be...

   Height = (5 + 3x)/8
   Width = (11 + 7x)/32

...where x is the number of pips.

Ryan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Icehouse Discussion List" <icehouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Icehouse] 30 Pointer Alert

On 3/2/07, Robert Bryan <rbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
They've probably been noted before, but these are awesome:
http://www.fisar.net/gallery.pyramids.php

I've read some of debates about the correct formula for dimensions
of larger pieces...

Copied from my previous treatise on the matter:

=====
A pyramid is
(5+3x)/14 inches wide, rounded to the nearest 32nd and
(5+3x)/8 inches tall
where x is the number of pips.

Which gives us the currently published values AND makes the obsessive
mathematician in me happy.
=====

The tricky part is, of course, rounding 14ths to the nearest 32nd.

--
 it's all about the 4:7 ratio