[Icehouse] 30 Pointer Alert

  • From"Robert Bryan" <rbryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 2 Mar 2007 10:38:55 -0700

They’ve probably been noted before, but these are awesome:

http://www.fisar.net/gallery.pyramids.php

I’ve read some of debates about the correct formula for dimensions of larger pieces, so I’ll hastily note that there are an infinite number of possible formulas that would hit the 3 data points we have, and I don’t claim any special knowledge of which one was sacred to the ancients of Mars.  That said, my preference is:

For pip count n,

  Width = 7n + 11

  Height = 12n + 20

both in 32nds of an inch.  This gives the correct sizes for the 1, 2 and 3 points, it’s a pretty simple formula, and as pieces get larger the aspect ratio converges to something pretty close to the the ones we know, so they look pleasingly ice-ish.

  By that calculation, the red pyramid above is an almost perfect 30 pointer.  Now where did I put that extra $1700?