Re: [Icehouse] Icehousegames.org Wiki Administration

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 12 Apr 2007 16:39:14 -0400
On Apr 12, 2007, at 3:24 PM, dean@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Of course, I'm not sure organization of the wiki is on or off topic for
this list, but I'm thinking a more appropriate place to have this
discussion is the talk page of the page in question....
http://icehousegames.org/wiki/?title=Talk:Choosing_games

I can understand posting a message noting that there's significant
interest in a  particular topic, or desire to re-structure the wiki on
this list, but I think the place to actually carry out the discussion
should be on the wiki, especially since I imagine there may be some that
browse the wiki, that aren't on this mailinig list.  Just my .02

I've gone and added a bunch of discussion to the talk page, as has Ryan. This does bring up the question, though, of how to effectively discuss the wiki. The problem with talk pages is that people don't check them very often. Some people check the "Recent Changes" on a fairly regular basis, but most people check it a lot less often than email. Thus, you can frequently put something on a talk page and get absolutely no response for weeks, while posting something to the mailing list will get your message read and responded to within hours.

Should we perhaps set up a mailing list just for discussing the wiki? Or encourage more people to put the "Recent Changes" RSS feed into their aggregators? It seems to me that the wiki is much better for evolving a set of pages that can be treated as being relatively static by the reader, while a mailing list is much better for back and forth discussion.