Re: [Icehouse] Ice Game Design Competition 2007

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 16 Apr 2007 08:07:11 -0700
Hi Brian and James,

Thanks for starting this discussion. I think this will be a really
valuable thing for the icehouse community.

On all the points where the two of you agree, I agree as well, so
those ideas must all be good. ;-)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:05:53 -0500, "James Hazelton" wrote:
> 4. I strongly disagree with adding prize support to the competition.

As for prizes, I have mixed feelings. One potential problem with
having donated prizes is that there could be wide variation in the
value of the prize from one competition to the next. This could
heighten the "poison" effect that Brian mentioned, (imagine winning a
modest prize just before the big Crystal Caste prize is announced for
example), or encourage undesirable behavior, (designers deciding to
hold off from submitting hoping for a better prize next time).

But a prize that's fixed, (whether tangible or not---but guaranteeing
an intangible prize is certainly easier to do), seems like it could do
lots of good things. Easy intangible prizes could include publication
on a "Prize-winning Games" wiki page, or publication in something like
Hypothermia, (if that starts up again). Something tangible could work
if modest and backed by someone likely to be able to provide it from
one competition to the next, (coming from Looney would probably be
best on that point), but I don't see it as strictly necessary.

-Carl