Re: [Icehouse] online gaming (was Re: Shotgunning)

  • FromBrian Campbell <lambda@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 19 Jul 2007 13:13:08 -0400
On Jul 19, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Dale Newfield wrote:

Timothy Hunt wrote:
Some of the pyramid games would be great.  However, Icehouse and
IceTowers, because of their "no turn" nature, would have problems
because of lag issues.  Not just that, but placing precision is so
important in icehouse, I'm really not sure how they would handle that.

http://www.efran.org/embassy/xicehouse.html

I just got this to build and run on Mac OS X. It took a tiny bit of tweaking to the Makefile, but works surprisingly well for something written over 10 years ago and not actively maintained.

I can't seem to get the server working on my web host though. It builds, and runs, and I can connect to it from clients on my Mac, I even see the server logging that the client connected, but the clients always report 0 users connected, and the game never starts. I wonder if there's some kind of endian issue between the systems.