RE: [Icehouse] Trip Away rules questions

  • DateTue, 04 Sep 2007 12:18:20 -0700
> From: Doug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm having some problems interpreting the rules for Trip Away, one of
> the Summer 2007 Ice Game Design Competition entries.  I asked some
> questions on the game's talk page but haven't gotten a response, so I
> figured I should try here.  If anyone has figured out a way to play
> it, I'd like to know, although of course I'd rather have the
> designer's clarifications.

The IGDC is primarily intended to get the very thing you seek above:
refinement of a game (via questions and feedback). For instance, I have
questions and feedback about Penguin Soccer... BUT, I'm holding off on
publicizing them on the wiki because the IGDC is also a competition and,
as such, is set up so that a game is judged as written at the time of
Submission Announcement. Otherwise, some games might get an unfair
advantage in the competition by virtue of needing clarification after
the start of competition--precisely the opposite intention of
"competing," it seems to me (i.e. the game most in need of additional
work will get the most attention and, further, will be more refined than
those which are playable as-is).

All that said, better games are, ultimately, the goal of any IGDC. Let's
just be aware, generally, that the IGDC games are to be judged as they
stand, even while they change and refine on their Talk pages (NOT on
their main article pages!) during the judging round. It's only fair to
those games which do not require clarification and which were "complete"
at the start of judging.

Thanks, all, for participating!
David