RE: [Icehouse] Icehousegames.org spam bots

  • DateWed, 19 Sep 2007 08:00:05 -0700
> From: "Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I emailed Mike Sugarbaker (the "pwn3r and operator") but I don't know
> if that's going to do anything.  The place is infested with bad

You beat me to it, Don.

I have asked (repeatedly) for Mike to set it so that all new users
require approval. How many real human new users are there each week,
after all? Two? But from Mike, I have never heard a reply yea or nay.

But of course, that would mean he'd have to show up more than once a
month to approve new users...
(http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=100&target=MiSuBa)

... or allow others to be admins, per his "I don't aim to be GodKing"
claim on his user page.
(http://icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php?title=User:MiSuBa)

I imagine folks on this list know and like Mike. Me? I've never met him,
barely seen his impact on the site, and feel that he's failed in the
responsibility to us that he assumed when he set himself up as sole
gatekeeper.

Now... I just wish he'd transfer the domain name to the Looneys, let us
copy the wiki to a new host registered to that domain, and get the hell
out of the way....
>:|

----
Meanwhile... folks, please help Don, me, and others keep an eye on the
Recent Changes and roll back any vandalism. The wiki database only hold
so many entires in the history (configurable by... yep, the admin) and,
as such, if enough edits roll through before we can roll back
vandalism... well, it become permanent and the destroyed article must be
rewritten.

On that note: ALL CONTRIBUTORS should make a point of copying their
articles to an off-site location. I try to maintain a parallel copy of
every game I make (but not every article; e.g. "What Can I Play?") on my
own site; but even if you don't have your own site, you could easily
highlight all text, copy, and paste into Word or some HTML editor to
save them on your home system. You've been warned....

David