Re: [Icehouse] OT: Oh No

  • FromAndrew Plotkin <erkyrath@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 11 Oct 2007 15:54:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Subhan Tindall wrote:

I thought LOL was *already* a comedy!  It had a pretty significant
cheese factor if I recollect correctly.

It had a massive cheese factor, but it wasn't a comedy. It took itself very seriously. There was some comedy in the scripts, but it was... ponderous.

I think that a straight remake of LOL would flop today -- simply because the genre territory has been well-trampled. Trapped in an alien landscape? Alien monsters? Ancient crystal technology? It would come off as a weak mashup of _Lost_ and _Stargate_.

A good nostalgia-based comedy *could* work, a la _Galaxy Quest_. But even if it were brilliant, it'd be pandering to an awfully small audience. (_Galaxy Quest_ wouldn't have worked if most movie-goers hadn't *heard* of Star Trek, or of Trek fans as a cultural stereotype.) And if you try to appeal to the larger audience, you're back to a straight remake.

But I'm willing to be positively surprised.

--Z

*
Bush's biggest lie is his claim that it's okay to disagree with him. As soon as
you *actually* disagree with him, he sadly explains that you're undermining
America, that you're giving comfort to the enemy. That you need to be silent.